Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm Making Progress

WOW!  I am so excited about how I am doing on my goals.

  • Write 1,000 words on days I have no kids. --I wrote an 800 word blog post, worked on the my current chapter and revised my 3rd chapter enough that I think I have made this one, today, the first day I had no kids.  I also made a contact that I can interview for character and plot development for my novel.
  • Attend Writer's Group on a regular basis. --I went to WG last night and am planning to go to another one on Saturday.
  • Select/Revise/Submit entries on days I have the boys. --I have a poem selected and a flash fiction as well.  I will be working on these tomorrow and choose where I want to send them.
  • Blog on Wednesdays. --Here is where I have cheated a bit.  I have combined my word count for today with my blog writing.  This, people is why your goals have to be specific.  I implied that my 1,000 words would be work on my novel, but never said it had to be.  Eh, details and loopholes...I'll get there!  I have also done some book reviews on my blog, so those count too!
  • Read one post on improving craft and develop my platform for an hour everyday. --I have slowly watched my Twitter followers increase, it's harder once you hit a follow limit.  Because of this, I have been focusing on building my Facebook platform.  I read a piece by Anne Lamott this week and a few other blog posts from fellow ROW80 writers.  This goal has proven to be the easiest to fulfill so far.  I also believe that my blog post for the week as well as my reviews on the YA books I read, help to establish my platform as a YA author.
Click here to read the Anne Lamott article about making time.

The feedback from everyone at ROW80 is so helpful.  I am trying to get to other participants to comment or at least follow their blogs for support.  Keep it up all!  We can do this!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love to see a link to the Anne Lamott article. I love her words!

    And brava to you for being honest and continuing to write... even if the numbers are a little squirmy.

    It is great to "meet" you via ROW80!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a link to it on my Twitter and Facebook, but you are so right, putting it in the blog would make more post like useful and stuff! LOL! I will find it and put it in there. Thanks for checking things out here. The feedback and comments are so encouraging. Good luck to you as well.

      Delete
  2. Seems you did great on your goals.

    For platform, choose the social media you like best, then learn to really use it to connect with people. The interaction is key.

    Hope your weekend is going great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips on social media. I agree the interactions and connections are key. I have been really explaining how to do this and I'm learning that it's not just communicating but the reviewing that seems to help build those relationships.

      Delete
  3. It's so awesome that you're finding the time to write and blog! I nominated you for a Versatile Blogging Award her: http://writingbelle.blogspot.com/ It's a way to promote your blog, too. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so so much for this honor. I have only recently that I have decided to embrace my writing as something more than a hobby, so this means so much to me. I look forward to displaying this badge with pride as evidence of my hard work over the past month.

      Delete
  4. Great Job on keeping up with your goals. Don't worry about completing all of them all once. Baby steps are always the best way to go and as long as you're working toward them that's nothing to frown at! Thanks for the follow. I joined you as well :)

    Twenty Something Fiction Writer
    My Book Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the follow and the advice/encouragement. Good luck to you on all of your writing endeavors. Let me know if there is anything I can offer as far as support goes.

      Delete